Thursday, October 16, 2014

Admire from Afar!

I know, I know -- I'm adorable.

Oh boy. Here we go.

Ignore her. She's rude. As I was saying, I know I'm adorable. And so are a ton of other doggies! Like some of our DF buddies (DogForum.com... if you've never checked it out, I highly recommend doing so. Lots of dogs. And lots of resources!). We know we're super-cute, and we know we're awesome. We just prefer that you know that we're awesome from a distance!

I know, I know -- "What dog doesn't love being mauled with attention?!" And, for the most part, you're right. Your average taken-everywhere, super-socialized, straight-A-puppy-kindergarten Labrador pooch is going to love everybody; big, small, tall, short, cane, hat, glasses, whatever! But just because a lot of dogs really, really love attention, it doesn't mean that all dogs do.

I'm a cute pooch. I know it, Mom knows it, the screeching children down the street know it. 

Look at me. I'm adorable.
Come on, who wouldn't want to give me scritches and love on me? 

Unfortunately, the honest-to-Dog truth is this: I really don't want everyone to love on me. I love attention, don't get me wrong. Whenever we run into someone I know, you can bet I'll be all over them! (paws first trying to give hugs, too! ... Mom doesn't really appreciate that.) But to random people on the street? Hell no! If I don't know you, I don't want you to touch me. I think that's pretty reasonable.

Honestly, he's got a point here. I'd be a little creeped out if some random stranger tried to hug me. 

It's the same thing for me. Most of you non-furry, upright-walking types would be pretty weirded out if a random person ruffled your hair or ran up to you screaming about how cute you are, right? It's the same thing for me!

A lot of dogs are like this, and a lot, like me, don't look actively disturbed by strangers until you start coming at us with grabby hands. 

On top of all this, I'm actually really scared of people. Once I warm up to someone I'm their best buddy forever (and it happens quicker if you have food... mmm... food...) but it takes a while. For me, looking at me, talking to me, looming over me, and trying to touch me all send off a red-alert danger siren that "OMG! YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL ME!" 

If you really want to say hello, that's okay... but ask Mom first, and be prepared to follow instructions! If you don't wanna follow directions, we understand --and we're fine with it!-- but that means you have to just walk away. Please don't give me any attention without Mom's permission, because she knows me a lot better than you do, and she knows what pushes my buttons.

Make sure to always ask the human holding the leash if you can say hello, and please, please be okay with it if they decline. When Grem and I are out walking, we're working. He's reactive, meaning he barks and puts on a lot of fake bluster to scare people off -- he's gotten much, much better, but every time someone looms or sticks their hands in his face, it's a setback. 

If someone asks you to respect their dog's space, listen! Grem wouldn't bite, but someone else's dog might, and it'd be your fault for not listening to the person who said, "Thanks, but not today."

Be considerate of dogs who need space -- they aren't bad, they just need things to be a little different for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment